Wednesday, July 29, 2009

KNIT WIT

Well, I wanted to write a short little note to tell you that I have started knitting! I am so excited! I had bought some knitting needles and yarn a few months ago when I had decided I wanted to learn, and then forgot about them, as is often the case.

Two days ago I was looking for something and found the knitting needles and yarn and decided I would definitely learn. So, I went online and found a really good tutorial here: Mrs. Moskowitz' Knitting tutorial and started knitting a scarf with the very yarn I had bought all those months ago.

It's looking really good so far and I must say that I am really proud of myself for finally learning how to knit!

Years ago when I was a little girl, my grandmother who was a mast crocheter tried and tried to teach me, and all that would ever be produced was a long crocheted chain, and I would give up.

When I got pregnant two years ago, my brother-in-law, who has been crocheting for a while... he's straight and available... taught me how when I told him I wanted to make a baby blanket for the little boy I was expecting. Well, he taught me, and it was surprisingly easy, and the blanket, is still waiting to be finished... I had originally wanted it to be used during the baby's blessing, but it didn't happen. I got busy, the baby was born, and I just work on it still from time to time when I get bored. So, I have a little over 4 inches left to finish and it will be done!

Now, here I am with a new project started. The beautiful scarf I imagined I would wear last winter, and it is now about a 1/4 of the way finished, and I have started a new knitting project! I am making 100% cotton dish cloths! Yes, that's right, I now have three projects in the works.

So, because I have such a spastic brain I will make a list. Here it is:

1. Finish the baby blanket...maybe for my son's son? ha ha.
2. Finish my lovely scarf... in the next few weeks.
3. Finish a dish cloth before moving on to something else.

You see, I get bored very easily and so I always do this. It's not unusual for me to be reading two books at once either. When I watch television, I am one of those people who watches two shows at the same time. When one goes to commercial break, I flip over to the other channel to see what's happening there. One always takes precedent over the other, but I still do it much to the annoyance of my sweet husband.

So, this is why I have three projects going. When my hands and eyes get tired of crocheting (usually after one row!) I switch over to the scarf, when I get tired of that I'll switch to the dish cloth... when I get tired of that, believe it or not I have other unimportant things to occupy my mind and my hands. I'll draw a picture, or doodle a collage, or I'll scrapbook, or sew some project that has been waiting to be finished for a while... or I'll blog.

So, now that I've learned to knit, I want to learn how to do all kinds of stitches! I am really excited about it! (At least for now...)

I need to learn to focus, but I guess I won't take offense to being called a knit wit now... because I really am one! ha ha!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I THINK YOU NEED A DIFFERANT BACKGROUND, I CAN NEVER READ YOUR WORDS.

Susan said...

Is that better?? :)