Sunday, April 11, 2010

He's a bully...

Today is Sunday, and in our family, that involves church... three hours of church, (which I look forward to all week). But the downside is that those three glorious hours of church are during napping hours. Ez is usually not at his best between 1 and 4... but I've never heard any complaints from his nursery leaders... until today.

Oh today!

For some reason this whole situation made me so sick and upset I was a wreck about it.

I teach the lesson in Relief Society on the second Sunday of every month, and I have to say that I seriously love it. I was just getting settled in to the third hour, ready to teach my lesson on The Holy Ghost, when the door to the room opened and I saw Ez in the arms of his Nursery teacher. I walked out to the hall, and that's when I got the news... "Ezra has been hitting people a lot. We need you to take him today." "What?! Who did he hit?" "Just about everyone." "What did he do? Just walk up and hit people?" "He threw cars at some children, and hit others in the face, and pushed some others."

So, that was it. They kicked him out today. I felt so awful! I felt like a really bad mommy. MY kid is the bully? My son is the one that people don't let their children play with? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?! 

I lost it. I was so emotional. I didn't yell at him, or tell him he was bad. No way. No how. But, I did show him how sad it made me, and talked to him about using nice hands with his friends. "We DON'T hit our friends. We DON'T throw cars or anything at our friends to hurt them. I need you to make a better choice. If you can't do that, you can't go back to Nursery anymore. People don't like to be hit, and we absolutely do NOT use our hands to hurt our friends."

He looked at my tear stained face and felt awful. "I'm sorry, Mama. I go back to Nursery." "No," I said. "You can't go back today, because you couldn't keep your hands to yourself. You can't be in Nursery if you hit your friends."

Then we walked over to the Nursery room, and I had Ezra apologize to his teacher. Then Husband came over, and I started crying so hard. I am so embarrassed that I cried so hard. I just felt awful, that I had somehow failed as a mother in some way, that made my son act out violently.

I think I scared the teacher a little bit with my crying.

I am super emotional today for some reason, and this didn't help!

But, I think Ez understands, at least I hope he does. I guess we'll see next time.

He has NEVER acted like this. I just couldn't believe that he was KICKED OUT of Nursery!

Anyway, he has quite a few Nursery teachers, and they rotate every week, so that they can attend other meetings some weeks, and one of his teachers was in RS today. She told me that Ez is her favorite and that he is not usually like that, and that he is usually very well behaved. That made me feel a lot better.

I'm sure others have had this happen to them, right? I just didn't think Ez would ever act that way! Oh my gosh. But, in all reality, he is SUCH a good boy, and EVERYBODY has bad days. I know there are days when I want to let out my annoyance in some way, and children are no exception.

In his defense, he woke up at 7:30 this morning, and didn't go to bed last night until around 10pm, (which is WAY past his bed time). He was really tired, and I know when Bryan and I are tired, we are grouches, (Husband affectionately calls me Grungetta when I am grouchy-Grungetta is Oscar the Grouch's girlfriend)... why would Ez be any different?

After a long nap, he's much happier and cooperative. Back to his old self.

I love him to pieces, what can I say?

With Love,
Suz

1 comment:

Olivia Carter said...

Ah, I'm sorry. That's the WORST feeling! I haven't had that happen in Nursery but I have had it happen at the gym. It's the WORST!

And I'm sorry that you were feeling so emotional today. I hate days like that!